1.Mrs. Green __________ Tom’s progress in Maths that term.
a) admiredb) hymnedc) praisedd) exalted
2.There was a wonderful ski ________ way up in the mountains, suitable for the whole family.
a) lodgeb) hostelc) pensiond) house
3.She was _________ an array of questions during the interview.
a) put up withb) put forwardc) put overd) put through
4.The New World _____________ by five European countries: Spain, Portugal, France, Holland and England.
a) has explored and colonizedb) was explored and colonizedc) explored and colonizedd) had explored and colonized
5.Don’t believe John – there’s not a _________ of truth in what he says!
a) traceb) touchc) graind) slip
6. The government has decided to cut __________ on funding for education.
a) offb) outc) backd) away
7. Let’s not try and _________ the wheel here; a simple leaflet with a photograph will be fine.
a) reinventb) revolvec) rewindd) restore
8. Jenny was completely ________ in her work and could not be distracted.
a) submergedb) sunkc) drownedd) immersed
9. Mary is not very bright and has to work a lot to _________ up with the rest of the class.
a) stayb) bearc) keepd) hold
10. I don’t believe you really met Eddie Murphy; you’re _________ me on!
a) havingb) puttingc) takingd) giving
11. Sue felt her boss was always picking _________ her and blaming her unfairly.
a) atb) outc) tod) on
12. He was ________ with embezzlement and sentenced to three years in prison.
a) accusedb) convictedc) chargedd) arrested
13. ________ had we sold out our stock when the markets crashed.
a) If onlyb) Justc) No soonerd) Hardly
14. We are trying to reach a conclusion without examining the evidence first; we’re putting the cart before the __________.
a) cowb) oxc) horsed) dog
15. You need to _______ experience before you can be considered for promotion.
a) gain Ib) earnc) wind) collect
16. There is __________ coverage of the World Cup Final on all major sports channels.
a) longb) extensivec) wholed) entire
17. When the two teams ran onto the football ________ the crowd cheered.
a) stadiumb) pitchc) arenad) court
18. All the classroom windows were broken, but nobody knew who the _____ was.
a) victimb) culpritc) guiltyd) responsible
19. The policeman _________ me off with a warning as it was Christmas.
a) sentb) gavec) letd) set
20. The crowd _________ in disagreement as the politician left the platform.
a) rustledb) bangedc) neighedd) booel
21. John was _________ something under his breath, but I didn´t catch what he said.
a) whisperingb) mutteringc) growlingd) swallowing
22. Sally was sitting by the sea, __________ at the shape of the distant island.
a) glancingb) gazingc) facingd) gaping
23. Steve won the match against all_________ .
a) chancesb) hopesc) factsd) odds
24. I need _______ facts to prove your case, not just suppositions and accusations.
a) toughb) solidc) readyd) stable
25. Lynn was ________ disappointed by their reaction.
a) considerablyb) mildlyc) weaklyd) substantially
Copyright © 2017 CCLS. Powered By TipoAtelier